Wednesday, June 6, 2012

On vanity and drivers licenses

Hello friends!

So this past weekend I realized that I absolutely had to get my license renewed which also meant a new picture! I spent part of Saturday morning watching youtube tutorials and planning my makeup, which sounds silly but if this is a picture that will be around and scrutinized for the next 5 years, I want it to look as good as humanly possible. Are you in a similar situation?  If so, then read on for my tips for a super fine license picture!

I can narrow down my license photo makeup tips to two words: Clean Definition.  For me this meant the following:
  • Bright eyes with sharp brows: Primer, a lighter than flesh-tone shadow (WnW Creme Brulee), a thin line of black eyeliner (UD Zero), and mascara.  I use a MAC shadow and brush #208 to fill in my brows.
  • Lip tint and blush: I'm a big fan of Benetint and Stila's lip crushes, and any low-shimmer pink blush.
  • Even skin: Primer (I'm really liking Tarte's primers right now), Smashbox BB Cream (or use the foundation of your choosing), concealer, and powder to set. 
I also needed the appropriate products for contouring but there was one problem, contouring was a complete mystery to me!  And maybe it's also a mystery for you?  Well mystery solved, thanks to the wonder that is the Pixiwoo youtube channel!
This video is a great guide to basic contouring and made a world of difference for me!  Now to show you what products I used:

contouring for fun and profit
Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer, Wet n Wild Creme Brulee eyeshadow (a perfect pale beige matte shadow, which is getting its own post soon!),  Sonia Kashuk Flushed blush, Tarte Amazonian Clay Shimmer Powder in Champagne (a pale gold/white shimmer) and a couple of Ecotools brushes.  And this is my look:

contouring for fun and profit
My goofy face.  So in case it wasn't super obvious, I only contoured the left side of my face (and was a little heavy handed with it) to give you an idea of what kind of difference contouring makes.

Since license pictures wash everything out, it's important to use a slightly heavier hand for the contour, brows and lips, while leaving your eyes and cheeks light so that they're still easily visible.  Especially your eyes, if you wear an overwhelming eye look they could be totally lost!

So in spite of all my time and effort, when I went to AAA on Saturday they told me their camera was broken and would just re-use my old picture.  Of course!  Nevertheless, I hope this helped you and here's to many lovely license pictures!

love and cupcakes,
Ms Meghan

No comments: